Anant I Patel, MD FAANS
Anant I Patel, MD is a board certified neurosurgeon recognized for utilizing innovative surgical techniques. He thrives on combining his interest in technology with his passion for neurosurgery, and is continually researching surgical advancements to provide the best possible options for his patients.
Dr Patel has been at the forefront of bringing cutting edge technology to Austin since 1998, including Frameless Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS), and is a principle on-site trainer for this technology.
- MD, Bowman Gray School of Medicine, Wake Forest University
- Ohio State University/ Neurosurgery
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS)
- Brain tumor surgery (benign and malignant tumors)
- Spine tumor surgery (benign and malignant tumors)
- Minimally invasive and endoscopic neurosurgery
- Degenerative disc disease (cervical and lumbar)
- Complex spine surgery (degenerative spine disease, degenerative scoliosis, spinal instrumentation and reconstruction)
- Peripheral Nerve Surgery (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Ulnar Neuropathy)
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Cranio-cerebral and Spine trauma
- Deep Brain Stimulation - refining targeting and imaging
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Texas Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
About your surgeon
"I consider it a privilege to offer top-notch neurosurgical care and compassionate understanding, both of which are necessary for achieving the best outcomes for my patients.” - A.Patel
Dr. Patel graduated Magana Cum Laude from University of North Carolina with a degree in Chemistry and Biology. He then attained his medical degree from the Bowman Gray School of Medicine at Wake Forest University, and completed his residency in Neurological Surgery at Ohio State University.
Dr. Patel specializes in the treatment of patients with Movement Disorders, Brain Tumors, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Peripheral Nerve, and Spinal Disorders. He enjoys bringing a personalized approach to each patient in order to arrive at an individually tailored treatment plan optimized for the patient and his or her family. He works with a world-class multi-disciplinary team of surgeons, neurologists, psychiatrists, radiologists and others to provide compassionate, state-of-the-art care for his patients. Among the many techniques at his disposal are stereotactic neurosurgery, deep brain stimulation, ablative techniques, awake brain mapping, electrode recordings, computer-guided navigation, and microsurgery.
Dr. Patel has a strong interest in functional neurosurgery, focusing on frame-less deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease, dystonia and essential tremor. He has, along with Dr Jeevan, built a deep brain stimulation program across multiple institutions in order to provide access to care for lesser-served communities, and is a principle trainer in frame-less DBS for Medtronic.
Dr. Patel’s treatment philosophy is based on a conservative treatment approach to herniated cervical and lumbar discs, spinal degeneration, spinal tumors, fractures, and spinal fusions, utilizing advanced and minimally invasive surgical techniques where applicable.
Dr. Patel also specializes in treatment of brain tumors in important functional areas of the brain, trigeminal neuralgia, and utilizes a novel techniques to approach deep seated lesions with minimal disturbance of the brain. He is one of the first neurosurgeons in the country to be trained to use the NICO BrainPath, which allows removal of deep lesions through a 14mm port.